Amy’s Spicy Beans and Rice
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
* 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
* 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
* 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
* black pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
* 2 fresh green onions, chopped
* 1/2 (2 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a saucepan bring the water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, pour beans into a 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle with jalapenos, cumin, chili powder and black pepper.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, green onions and olives. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more.
5. Serve beans over cooked rice.