Apple and blackberry strudel
For the pastry
* 285g plain flour, plus extra for sprinkling
* 3/4 tsp salt
* 200 ml lukewarm water
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten
* 1/4 tsp white wine vinegar
* 110g butter, melted
For the filling
* 3 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
* 100g brown sugar
* 2 tsp ground cinnamon
* 200g blackberries
* 1 lemon, grated zest
* 100 g ground almonds
* icing sugar, to finish
1. Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl or jug mix together the water, egg, vinegar and 25g butter, (all at room temperature). Pour the wet mix into the flour and salt and stir together for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes a firm dough.
3. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
4. Leave the dough to rest on a floured surface, covered with a warm earthenware bowl for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
6. Cover the table with a large tea towel or cloth and sprinkle with flour. Roll out the dough on the floured cloth until 5mm thick and brush with a little of the remaining melted butter.
7. Using the backs of your hands, lift and stretch the dough until it is almost paper thin, working as quickly as you can. Brush the entire dough with most of the remaining melted butter.
8. To make the filling: mix together the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, blackberries and lemon zest.
9. Scatter the almonds over the pastry, followed by the apple mixture.
10. Using the cloth to help you, roll up the strudel in a Swiss roll fashion and transfer onto a non-stick baking tray, in a horse-shoe shape.