Arroz con salsa roja (red salsa rice)
* 3 large tomatoes, cut into quarters
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 3 ancho chillies
* 2 pasilla chillies
* 2 cloves garlic
* 2 tsp soft dark brown sugar
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1 lime, juice only
* 2 spring onions, finely chopped
* 1/2 tsp dried oregano
* olive oil
* cooked rice
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Place the tomatoes on a baking tray and drizzle over the oil. Cook in the oven for about 40 minutes until soft.
3. Allow to cool slightly, then remove the skins. The seeds can be spooned out and discarded if a smooth sauce is preferred.
4. Meanwhile, soak the chillies in boiling water for about 10 minutes until soft. Remove the stalks, slit open and remove the seeds by scraping gently with a small sharp knife.
5. Dry roast the garlic in a frying pan until golden.
6. Place the tomatoes, chilies and garlic in a blender and process until smooth.
7. Add the sugar, paprika, lime juice, spring onions and oregano. Process for a few seconds. Taste and add salt as required.
8. The paste will keep for up to 1 week in the fridge
9. When using to flavour rice, heat some olive oil in a pan oil, add the rice, stirring until toasted.
10. Add paste (according to how spicy you want the rice to be) and enough water to cover and simmer until the rice is cooked.