Bacon & Apple Pancakes
- 1 cup white flour (140 g)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (250 ml)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp oil
- 10 rashers of bacon, sliced into thin strips
- 3 crisp apples, thinly sliced
- ‘Suikerstroop’ (Dutch pancake syrup) or syrup of your preference
Fry bacon in the pan until crisp and/or cooked. Remove to a paper towel to drain. Now add the sliced apples to the bacon fat and caramelize. Drain on paper towels. Serve pancakes open-faced on the plate, top with apples and bacon and drizzle some suikerstroop on top.
Yields 8 to 10 pancakes.
- This pancake mix improves when it is left to rest, but you can use it straight away.
- Dutch pancake syrup is a dark molasses-like syrup, but you could use golden syrup or maple syrup instead. Or, in fact, appelstroop.
- My bacon & apple pancakes are excellent topped with some seasoned frisee salad.