Bajak Chili Sauce
- 8 red chilies, seeded and sliced
- 1 tsp. dried shrimp paste (terasi), toasted
- ¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 6 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. chopped palm sugar
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 2 salam leaves
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- ½ inch galangal (laos), peeled and sliced
- 4 Tbs. tamarind juice
Grind with a mortar and pestle or blend the first 7 ingredients very finely.Heat the oil over medium high heat. Sauté the ground ingredients along with salam leaves, lemongrass and galangal. Stir it frequently until the mixture changes color and becomes very fragrant.
Lastly, pour the tamarind juice and let it simmer for about a minute and then leave to cool.
Remove salam leaves, lemongrass and galangal before serving.