Braised pork in a chilli and chocolate sauce
* 55ml vegetable oil
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 450g pork fillet, cut into large chunks
* black pepper
* 75g onions, chopped
* 1 small green pepper, chopped
* 1 small red pepper, chopped
* 2 tomatoes, chopped
* 1 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
* 600ml chicken stock
* 40 g blanched flaked almonds
* pinch of ground cumin
* pinch of ground nutmeg
* pinch of ground cinnamon
* pinch of ground cloves
* 2 tbsp chopped coriander
* 25g raisins
* pinch of sugar
* grated zest of 1/2 oranges
* 115 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids broken into squares
* cooked couscous, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200ÂºC/gas 6.
2. Heat the oil in a casserole dish. Add the garlic and fry, stirring, fir 1 minute. Add the pork. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and fry until browned on all sides.
3. Remove the browned pork from the pan but keep the pan on the heat.
4. Add the onions, red and green pepper and tomatoes to the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until softened. Mix in the chilli powder.
5. Pour in the stock, flaked almonds, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and coriander and bring to the boil. Allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring now and then, until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
6. Stir in the raisins, sugar, orange zest and chocolate.
7. Return the pork to the casserole dish, cover the dish with a lid and cook in the oven for an hour or until the pork is cooked through.