Cauliflower and Lamb Pie (Mpanata Ragusana)
1 medium sized cauliflower (about 1.5 lbs)
1 large onion
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of red wine
1/2 lb lamb sausage
2 cups of grated cacciocavallo cheese
Salt and pepper
For the Dough:
2 lbs flour
1 and 1/2 cups of water
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Prepare the Filling:
Clean cauliflower and cut in large pieces. Blanch in salted water.
Cut onions in small squares.
Remove cauliflower from water, cut into smaller pieces and sautï¿½ in olive oil with the onion.
Crumble sausage into small pieces and add to cauliflower.
Add 1/2 cup of wine and let wine evaporate.
- Add the cacciocavallo cheese and let it bind all the cauliflower and sausage set aside.
Prepare the Dough:
Make a well with the flour, add water in the center and the baking powder.
- Let it dissolve in the water and add the salt, slowly incorporate the flour, add the eggs as needed and mold creating a large ball.
Cut the ball in two and let it rest for about 2 hours.
Stretch the dough to fit the top and bottom of a baking pan.
- Grease the pan with butter, add bottom dough.
- Place the filling on top of the dough, spread out evenly, place the top layer of the dough.
Brush the top with egg and make some small incisions with a fork.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350ï¿½ F.