Chicken burgers with guacamole
For the cucumber relish
* 300g cucumber, thinly sliced
* 1 small onion, thinly sliced
* 100g sugar
* 1 tsp salt
* 75ml cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar
For the guacamole
* 2 avocados, peeled and stones removed
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 2 tbsp olive oil, optional
* 2 tbsp chopped coriander, or parsley
* Â½ lime, juice only
For the burgers
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 2 small onions, finely chopped
* 800g minced chicken
* 4 tbsp chopped mixed herbs, such as chives, parsley, tarragon and thyme
* 4 cloves garlic, crushed or grated
* 1 large egg, beaten
* 50g breadcrumbs
* 8 burger buns, or 1 per person
* 1-2 tomato, sliced
* 1 handful lettuce or salad leaves
* 1 red onion, sliced
* 16 rashers bacon, or 2 per person
1. For the cucumber relish: mix the cucumber and onion together in a large bowl, add the sugar, salt and vinegar and mix well to combine. Set aside for at least 1 hour to marinate before serving. Store in an airtight jar or a covered bowl in the fridge.
2. For the guacamole: mash the avocado flesh in a bowl then add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Lay a sheet of cling film over the surface of the guacamole to prevent it browning and set aside until needed.
3. For the burgers: heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the onion, season with sea salt and pepper, cover and sweat over a low heat for 10 minutes, or until softened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Mix the cooked onions with the remaining burger ingredients and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. (Cook a tiny bit of the mixture in a hot pan to try it for flavour). With damp hands, shape the mixture into eight burgers.
5. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Meanwhile, in another frying pan or under the grill, cook two rashers of bacon per person until crisp, and toast the burger buns.