Chicken curry with almonds, yogurt and mint
* vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
* 8 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
* salt, and freshly ground pepper
* 100ml plain yogurt
* 50 g blanched flaked almonds, toasted
* 1 small bunch of mint, leaves picked
* chips or rice, to serve
For the curry sauce:
* ghee, for cooking
* 1 tsp cumin seeds
* 2 tsp mustard seeds
* 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
* 3 green chillies, eseeded and chopped
* 1 tbsp curry leaves
* 1 finger of fresh ginger, rated
* 3 shallots, peeled and chopped
* 1 tsp turmeric
* 1 tsp ground coriander
* 1 tsp chilli powder
* Â½ tsp ground cloves
* 400g canned plum tomatoes
* 300ml stock
* 400ml canned coconut milk
* squeeze of lemon juice
* chopped fresh coriander, optional
1. First make the curry sauce. Heat the ghee in a heavy-bases saucepan.
2. When hot add in the cumin, mustard seeds, fenugreek, green chilli, curry leaves and ginger.
3. Fry, stirring, for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chopped shallot to the pan and fry, stirring often, until the shallot is browned and softened.
5. Add in the turmeric, coriander, chilli powder and cloves, mixing well.
6. Add in the chopped tomatoes, stock and coconut milk.
7. Cook, stirring now and then, until thickened. Season with salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir in the fresh coriander if using.
8. Heat the vegetable oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add in the chicken thighs and fry for 10 minutes until lightly browned on all sides, seasoning lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper.
9. Pour over the curry sauce and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring now and then.
10. Stir in the yogurt, then sprinkle over the almonds and mint.