Chicken korma with fragrant rice
For the fragrant rice
* 300 g basmati rice,
* 2 bay leaves,
* 4 cardamom pods, cracked
For the chicken
* 1 tsp vegetable oil,
* 1 onion, sliced
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 small ginger, finely chopped
* 4 chicken breast fillets, cut into cubes
* 1 tsp garam masala,
* 200 ml chicken stock, or vegetable stock
* 100 ml coconut milk,
* 3 tbsp almonds,
* 1 handfuls almonds,
* 0 coriander leaves, to garnish
1. For the fragrant rice: bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the rice, bay leaves and cardamom, bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or so until the rice is tender. Drain well.
2. For the chicken: heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion, garlic and ginger for a couple of minutes until softened and slightly coloured.
3. Stir in the chicken and garam masala and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the chicken is sealed on the outside and no longer pink.
4. Pour the hot stock over the chicken and simmer gently for 5-6 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the coconut milk and ground almonds. Warm through briefly, then season to taste.