Chicken Vindaloo (fast)
- 2 ts Cumin seeds, whole
- 1 ts Peppercorns, black
- 1 ts Cardamom seeds
- 3 sticks Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 ts Black mustard seeds
- 1 ts fenugreek seeds
- 5 tb white wine vinegar
- 1 ts salt
- 1 ts red chilli pepper
- 1 ts brown sugar
- 10 tb Vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 6 tb Water
- 1 in cube of fresh Ginger, chopped
- 10 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tb ground Coriander
- 1/2 ts Turmeric
- 2 lb chicken breast, boneless, diced
- 8 oz Tomato puree
- 1/2 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
- Grind cumin seeds, black pepper, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds together in a spice grinder. In a small bowl, combine ground spices, vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Fry onions, stirring frequently, until they are a rich, dark brown. Remove onions with a slotted spoon and put them in a blender. Turn off the heat, but do not discard the oil. Add about 3 T water (or more if necessary) to the onions and blend until you have a smooth paste. Add this onion paste to the spices in the bowl. This mixture is the vindaloo paste.
- Put the ginger and garlic in a blender. Add about 3 T water and blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the ginger, garlic paste. Stir until the paste browns slightly. Add the coriander and turmeric. Stir a few seconds. Add the chicken, a little at a time, and brown lightly.
- Add the vindaloo paste, tomato sauce and potatoes to the chicken in the saucepan. Stir and bring to a slight boil. Cover the saucepan, reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour, or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve over rice.