1 1/2 lb (675s) minced beef
sprigs of parsley (to garnish)
a little milk and butter
2 lb (900 g) potatoes
salt and pepper
8 oz (227g) can of peeled tomatoes
1/4 pt (150ml) water
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz) 40 g flour
2 sticks of celery, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1. Place the onion, celery and minced beef in a large saucepan and cook gently for about 5 minutes to allow the fat to run out.
2. Stir in the flour, add the crumbled bouillon cubes, water and tomatoes and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Season well with salt and pepper.
3. Reduce the heat, partially cover the pan with a lid and cook gently for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
4. Meanwhile peel the potatoes and cook in boiling, salted water for about 15 minutes or until tender.
5. Drain and mash well with milk and a knob of butter.
6. Place the meat in a heatproof dish, allow to cool slightly, then cover with the mashed potato.
7. When required, dot the potato with knobs of butter and reheat in the oven at 400°F (200°C) mark 6 for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the meat is hot through.