yield 2.5kg (approx)
1 – 1.25kg gooseberries
2 cups (500 ml) water
3 lb (1.5 kg) sugar
1. Use gooseberries which are still green, before they have ripened or turned colour.
2. Top and tail and wash them and put in a preserving pan with the water.
3. Simmer gently until the fruit is soft (this may take 30 minutes or longer).
4. Add the sugar and stir over low heat until dissolved.
5. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until setting point is reached. (Test for set after about 10 minutes of rapid boiling.)
6. Remove from the heat, skim, pot, cover, and label.
Note This is a good jam for beginners, because it sets very easily.