Crab emparedados with avocado, celery and pomegranate salad
* 100g , white or half brown/half white
* 1-2 tbsp mayonnaise
* handful of chopped coriander
* squeeze of fresh lime juice
* pinch of chilli powder
* black pepper
* 4 slices of crusty bread, preferably stale
* 125ml milk
* 1 egg
* 1 tbsp butter
* 1 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 ripe medium avocado
* 90ml lemon juice
* 2 sticks celery
* 1 pomegranate, seeds scooped out
1. In a bowl mix together the crabmeat, mayonnaise, coriander, lime juice and chilli. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Cut the bread into 5cm discs, using a pastry cutter.
3. Use the bread discs and crab mixture to make little sandwiches, pressing them down well.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.
5. Heat the butter and oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Dip the crab sandwiches into the milk mixture, coating on both sides.
6. Add to the frying pan and fry until golden brown on both sides.
7. Halve, peel and slice the avocado, tossing with the lemon juice. Add the celery and pomegranate and toss together.
8. Serve the freshly-fried emparedados with the avocado salad.