crispy sugared pastries
* 250 g strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
* Â½ tsp salt,
* 7 g yeast,
* 50 g almonds,
* 2 tbsp olive oil,
* sunflower oil, for deep frying
* icing sugar, for dusting,
1. Mix together the flour, salt, yeast and almonds in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add 125ml of warm water and mix with your hands to make a soft dough. Sprinkle over a little more flour if the mixture feels too sticky, but take care that itâ€™s not dry.
2. Tip the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, sprinkling with more flour if required, until the dough is smooth and stretchy.
3. Rub the oil over the surface of the dough and then place it in a large bowl. Cover with a clean, damp tea towel and leave for about an hour, or until the mixture has doubled in size.
4. Knead the dough for 2 minutes until the excess air is knocked out.
5. Heat a few centimetres of sunflower oil in a deep frying pan or a wok – do not leave the hot oil unattended. Pull off pieces of dough and roll out until less than a centimetre thick – it doesnâ€™t really matter about the size or shape.
6. Deep fry for a couple of minutes until puffed and golden-brown – you will need to cook the pastries in batches. Carefully remove and drain the pastries on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Dust with icing sugar and serve at once.