Damson and vanilla cobbler
For the filling
* 700 g damsons, halved and stones removed
* 300 g light soft brown sugar,
* 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways
* 4 tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur),
* 50 g butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
For the cobbler topping
* 200 g plain flour,
* 4 tbsp caster sugar,
* 50 g almonds,
* 250 ml double cream, lightly whipped to very soft peaks
* ice cream, or cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
2. For the filling: butter a 20 x 30 cm shallow ovenproof dish with plenty of softened butter. Scatter the damsons over the bottom of the dish, packing them in quite tightly.
3. Sprinkle over the sugar and tuck in the vanilla pod halves. Drizzle over the amaretto and dot with the butter.
4. For the cobbler topping: tip the flour, sugar and almonds into a bowl and mix together.
5. Fold in the whipped cream to make a sticky dough. Gently tear off pieces of the dough and arrange on top of the damsons, covering as much of the fruit as possible.