Dark Christmas Pudding
300 gms Currants
300 gms Raisins
120 gms Plain Flour ( Maida)
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp ground Ginger
1 tsp grated Nutmeg
1 tsp grounded Cinnamon and Cloves
240 gms Margarine shredded
120 gms Fresh breadcrumbs
120 gms Sugar (preferably jaggery)
60 gms Glace Cherries
60 gms Almonds blanched
30 gms Mixed Peel chopped
Few pieces rind of Oranges finely grated
Few pieces rind of Lemon finely grated
Juice of 1 Orange
1 tsp Vanilla essence
6 Level tbsp Black treacle
1 tbsp Brandy
How to make dark christmas pudding:
- Wash and pick the currants and raisins and dry thoroughly.
- Sift the flour, salt and spices into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the margarine, bread crumbs and sugar.
- Chop and mix together the currants, raisins, cherries, almonds, mixed peel and orange and lemon rinds.
- Stir these into the prepared dry ingredients.
- Beat the orange juice with the eggs and vanilla essence and pour into the bowl.
- Add the treacle and brandy and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Turn the mix over into a greased pudding basin.
- Cover the basin securely with double thickness of grease paper and tie securely.
- place in a pressure cooker and cook till done.
- When ready, remove cover and replace with fresh grease proof paper.
- Store in a cool, dry, dark place.
- To serve, steam the pudding again.
- Turn out into a hot dish.
- Pour a little warmed brandy round the dish and light before bringing to table.