- Prepare and wash the fish. Chop off the head and tail. Cut the fish in half along the spine and remove the spine and rib bones. Make criss-cross scores on the flesh side and cut into 1 1/2 inch (4cm) square pieces.
- Mix together the scallions, ginger, rice wine, 1/2 tsp. MSG(optional), 4 3/4 tsp. of the salt, the pepper, and the sesame oil, and rub on the sides of the fish. Dip the fish pieces, head, and tail into the dissolved cornstarch and dust with the dry cornstarch.
- Mix the ketchup. Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp. of the salt, 1/2 tsp. of the MSG (optional) , sesame oil, chicken stock and 1 tsp. of the dissolved cornflour into a sauce. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok to about 350oF (180oC)). Deep-fry the fish head and tail for 2 minutes. Remove and place on the narrow sides of an oval fish dish. Add the fish pieces to the oil and deep-fry for 2 minutes, or until cooked. Remove, drain, and place in the dish.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in another wok until the oil surface ripples. Add the garlic and 1 tbsp scallions and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the pineapple, green beans or pea pods, and carrot. Add the sauce and bring to a boil. Stir in 7 tbsp of the hot oil used for deep-frying. When the sauce bubbles, pour it over the fish, and serve.