Duck with peach and cherry sauce
For the sauce
* 250 g tomatoes, skinned and chopped
* pinches dried red chilli flakes,
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 2 garlic, chopped
* 2.5 cm ginger, grated
* pinches nutmeg,
* 1 tsp white pepper,
* 300 ml white wine vinegar,
* 600 g peaches, stoned and chopped
* 400 g cherries, pitted
* 1 apple,
* 125 g almonds,
For the duck
* 2 duck breast,
* black pepper,
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. To make the sauce, combine the tomatoes, chilli flakes, onion, garlic, ginger, nutmeg, pepper and vinegar in a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil, stirring frequently. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add the fruit and cook for a further 10 minutes. Season to taste and stir in the almonds.
4. Score the skin of the duck several times and place skin-side down in a frying pan. Turn on the heat and cook for 8-10 minutes. Pour off any excess fat and reserve to use for cooking roast potatoes. Flip the breasts over and cook briefly to seal; transfer to the oven and roast for 8 minutes.