Easy Beef Rendang
Serves : 4-5
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 2 hours 25 minutes
1 cup grated coconut
3 medium onions, chopped
4cm fresh ginger, sliced
6 cloves garlic sliced
4 stalks lemon grass, trimmed, sliced
1 tablespoon dried chili flakes
2-3 tablespoons water
1kg beef, trimmed, cut into 3cm cubes
400ml coconut milk
2 cups water, extra
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
1 tablespoon lemon juice
steamed rice to serve
extra kaffir lime leaves, sliced red chili to garnish
- Place coconut in pan; cook, stirring, over a low fire, until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Process onions, ginger, garlic, lemon grass, chili flakes and water in an electric blender to form a paste.
- Combine beef, spice paste, coconut milk, extra water, salt and sugar in a large pan. Bring to boil; then simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add reserved coconut lime leaves and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly, over a low fire for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice; garnish with extra kaffir lime leaves and sliced red chili.