Fresh Orange-Carrot Soup
This delicate, tangy cold soup from Singapore is an excellent appetite stimulant for a summer meal of cold duck or chicken. Serve chilled in glass or pretty china bowls to 4-6 as a first course.
- 2 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 lb. carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced leeks, white part only
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
- salt to taste
Garnish: finely sliced leeks, separated into circles
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then saute carrots, leeks, and ginger until they are soft. Add stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until vegetables are done.Puree, solids first, then return to pan and stir in orange juice. Season to taste with salt–remember to oversalt cold soups a little. Refrigerate and chill. When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and top with leek circles.