* 175g butter
* 175g dark brown sugar, preferably muscovado
* 200g black treacle
* 3 tsp ground ginger
* 1.5 tsp cinnamon
* 2 eggs
* 250ml milk
* 1.25 tsp bicarbonate of soda
* 300g plain flour
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3. Line the sides of 30 x 20 x 5cm baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Heat the butter, sugar, treacle and spices together in a large saucepan until the sugar has completely dissolved.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and beat in the eggs, milk and the bicarbonate of soda.
4. Stir in the flour and mix until smooth.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake for 40-45 minutes. Leave to cool slightly in the tin.