Green Tomato Chutney
1 lb (450 g) cooking (tart) apples
450 g onions
2 kg green tomatoes
1 tbsp mustard seed
1 x 1 cm piece ginger root (optional)
450 g sultanas (golden raisins)
15 g salt
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
700 ml malt vinegar
2 cups (450 g) Demerara (raw) sugar
1. Peel, core, and chop the apples.
2. Skin and chop the onions.
3. Cut up the tomatoes roughly.
4. Tie the mustard seed and ginger root, if used, in a piece of muslin or thin cotton.
5. Put these ingredients with the sultanas, salt, and Cayenne pepper into a large pan, and add just enough vinegar to cover.
6. Bring to simmering point and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, dissolve the sugar by warming it in the remaining vinegar.
8. Add the mixture to the pan, and boil steadily until the chutney is a good consistency.
Pot and cover, a circle of clean greaseproof paper, cut to fit the surface of the chutney and covered with 2 cm of melted paraffin wax. A jam cover should be tied over to keep the wax clean.