Grilled red snapper with apple, carrot and cabbage slaw
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder
* 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
* 50ml peanut or corn oil
* 4 snapper, each 225g, skin left on
For the apple, carrot and cabbage coleslaw:
* 125ml Greek yogurt
* 125ml cider vinegar
* 1/2 tsp caster sugar
* 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
* 2 green apples
* 2 large carrots, cut into short, fine strips
* 1 small Savoy cabbage, shredded
* 1 red pepper, cut into short, fine strips
* 4 spring onions, cut into thin strips
* coarsely ground black pepper
For the mango and melon hash:
* 2 large mango, finely diced (any juice reserved)
* 1/2 Charentais melon, finely diced
* 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
* 1 chilli, chopped (add to taste)
* 2 tops spring onions, finely chopped
* 5 sprigs coriander, finely chopped
* 1 lime, juice
1. First prepare the mango and melon hash. In a bowl, mix together the mango, melon, chilli (to taste), spring onion, coriander and lime juice.
2. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
3. Next make the apple, carrot and Savoy cabbage slaw. In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, cider vinegar, sugar and mustard to make the dresssing.
4. In a large bowl, toss together the apple, carrot, cabbage, red pepper and spring onion, until well-blended. Add the yogurt dressing and toss well. Season with freshly ground coarse black pepper to taste.
5. In a bowl, mix together the granulated garlic, salt, coarsely ground black pepper and peanut oil
6. Add the snapper fillets and mix well to evenly coat with the oil mixture.
7. Heat a heavy-based frying pan or griddle pan until hot, but not smoking.
8. Lay the snapper filets one by one skin side down and cook over med-high heat for 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness of the snapper. The fish should turn easily if you do not move it until you are ready to turn it. Turn on the other side and cook it for a further 3 minutes.