Guyanese beef and pork curry
* 3 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 onion, sliced
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 400g fatty stewing beef
* 400 g fatty shoulder chops or pork chops, diced
* 3 tsp Madras curry powder
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 1 tsp garam masala
* 2 tsp garlic powder
* 3 tsp tomato ketchup
* 3 medium-large Vivaldi potatoes
* 3 tsp Madras curry paste
* 1 tsp West Indian hot pepper sauce
* 1 tsp sugar
* 2 tsp salt
* 2 tsp ground black pepper
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick saucepan over a high heat.
2. Fry the onion and garlic until just beginning to brown (2-3 minutes).
3. Add the meat, curry powder, cumin, garam masala, sugar, salt and pepper. Brown the meat on all sides, then add the garlic powder. Pour over enough water to cover.
4. Stir in the tomato ketchup, curry paste and hot sauce to taste and then add the potatoes. Stir well to combine.