Makes 14 puffs
10 stalks dried chillies, cut into 3cm lengths and soaked
150g shallots, peeled
3 pieces candlenuts
15g bird’s eye chillies
2 stalks fresh red chillies
100g crispy fried anchovies
1 big onion, peeled and sliced
50g coarse sugar or to taste
1 packet (375g) puff pastry (store bought)
1 egg, beaten lightly as egg wash
Extra plain flour, for dusting work top
1. Using an electric blender, finely grind the spice paste ingredients.
2. Heat oil in a wok over medium heat and sauté the spice paste until fragrant, stirring continuously to prevent paste from burning.
3. Once the spice paste is fragrant and the oil rises, add the fried anchovies, onions, water and some sugar to taste. Simmer for 1 minute.
4. Grease tray and pre-heat oven to 190ْC.
5. Lightly dust your work top surface with some flour and roll out the thawed puff pastry to about 0.5cm thick. Cut into rectangles of 12cm x 8cm.
6. Place a tablespoon of filling onto the puff pastry. Brush the sides of the pastry with the egg wash and fold pastry over to enclose the puff, pressing the sides lightly to adhere.
7. Place filled puffs onto prepared trays and brush them with egg wash. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.