- 8-10 ripe kepuk bananas or 2 tanduk bananas, steamed until done
- 1 packet (about 125 grams) of mung bean (hunkwe) flour
- 1 1/4 litres coconut milk from 1 1/2 coconuts
- 200 grams granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Banana leaves, for wrapping
Peel bananas, cut diagonally to a thickness about 1cm and set aside.
Dilute mung bean flour with part of the coconut milk and set aside.
Boil remaining coconut milk with sugar, salt and vanilla.
Add mung bean flour mixture and keep stirring until the dough is thick and done.
Take a sheet of banana leaf cut into the desired size, place 1 tsp dough on it, add 1 slice of banana and top with another 1 tbsp dough.
Fold both sides of the leaf to cover the dough, then tuck in both ends so that the banana cake has a size of about 4x7cm.
Leave the dough to cool and set.
Notes: Banana leaves can be substituted with clear plastic sheets or aluminium foil.from The Best of Indonesian Desserts, by Yasa Boga (Times Edition)