Mississippi mud cake
* 200g plus 2 tsp unsalted butter, cut into 1cm dice
* 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
* 230g plain flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 115ml bourbon whiskey
* 335ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
* 125 g dark chocolate, chopped
* 300g sugar
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 large eggs, ightly beaten
For Ashbell’s Bourbon fudge sauce:
* 125 g dark chocolate, oarsely chopped
* 100g brown sugar
* 50g granulated sugar
* 200ml double cream
* 90 ml light corn syrup
* 2 tbsp butter
* Â½ tsp vanilla extract
* 3 tbsp bourbon whiskey
1. Preheat the oven to 140Â°C/gas 1.
2. Grease a ring mould cake tin with the 2 teaspoons of butter, then dust lightly with the cocoa powder.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, and set aside.
4. Warm the bourbon and coffee in the top of a steamer or a stainless steel bowl set over a pan of simmering water for 5 minutes.
5. Add in the chocolate and remaining butter and heat, stirring, until melted and smooth, about 3 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Cool slightly.
7. Using a whisk or an electric mixer, stir the flour, a third at a time, into the chocolate. Add in the vanilla extract and eggs, whisking to mix well.
8. Turn the chocolate cake mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 1 hour, when the cake will still be slightly soft in the middle.
9. Remove from the oven and leave to rest in its tin for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
10. Just before serving prepare the Bourbon fudge sauce. Place the chocolate, brown sugar, granulated sugar, double cream and corn syrup in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 3 minutes, whisking every minute or so.
11. Once the mixture has thickened whisk in the butter, vanilla extract and Bourbon.