Musk ox and wild berry casserole
* 1kg musk ox shoulder, cubed
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 2 onions, diced
* 3 parsnips, roughly chopped
* 3 carrots, roughly chopped
* 12 small shallots, peeled and left whole
* 1 bottle of red wine, such as Pelee Island Pinot Noir
* 500 ml reduced veal stock, (demi-glace)
* 3 tbsp wild or cultivated berries, such as blackberries, blueberries, bilberries
* salt, and freshly ground black pepper
1. Season the meat well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy-based high-sided frying pan or casserole over medium heat. Add the meat and quickly sear on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan using a perforated spoon.
3. Add the onions and fry for a few minutes or until they begin to colour.
4. Return the meat to the pan and fry until browned.
5. Add the parsnips, carrots, shallots and fry for a minute or two.
6. Pour in the wine, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 45 minutes until tender.