600 ml Cold water (1 pint)
25 Gram Toasted oatmeal (1 oz)
600 ml Warm milk (1 pint)
1. Wash and scrub the mussels thoroughly, and discard any that are open.
2. Put into a large saucepan with the water, cover and heat until they open.
3. Strain the liquid into a pan, shell and beard the mussels
4. Add the milk to the strained mussel juice, add seasoning to taste, and heat gently.
5. Sprinkle in the toasted oatmeal stirring continuously so that it forms knots
6. Add the mussels, and reheat without boiling.
Cockles can be used in the same way.