okra with spices and coconut milk
OKRA WITH SPICES AND
1 lb/450 g okra
2 onions finely chopped
1Â½ cups canned coconut milk
1 tsp chopped ginger
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp cumin
Â¼ tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander powder
Â½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
salt to taste
3 green chilies, finely chopped
2 curry leaves
3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Clean the okra and cut into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottom pan. Add the chopped onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Add garlic and ginger paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric and chili powder, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until the spices give off their aroma.
- Finally add the okra, mixing with a spoon. Increase the heat to medium, add the tomatoes and stir in the coconut milk. Season with salt to taste and bring to a boil,
- Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the okra is tender. Serve immediately