Peanut soup with tortillas
* 2 tbsp peanut oil
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 floury potatoes, peeled and diced
* 1 red pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
* 2 dried chillies, de-seeded and crumbled
* 1.2 litres strong chicken or beef stock
* 4 tbsp finely ground roasted peanuts
* black pepper
For the garnish:
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
* diced tomatoes
* peanuts, for sprinkling
For the tortillas:
* 450g plain flour
* about 300 ml water
1. Heat the oil gently in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Fry the onion, potato and pepper until softened over a low heat, without letting them brown
2. Stir in the chilli and add the stock. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
3. Process half the soup to a puree with the peanuts. Stir it back into the rest of the soup. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Meanwhile, make the tortillas. Mix together the flour and water to make a smooth dough.
5. Dampen your hands and pat out the dough to make small flat round tortillas 8m in diameter and 5mm thick.
6. Heat a very lightly greased griddle until very hot. Cook the tortillas on the griddle, flipping over to cook on both sides. Remove the tortilla from the griddle once the surface blisters black.