Pistachio pavlovas with poached apricots
For the pavlovas
* 4 egg whites
* 200g caster sugar
* 100g shelledwhole pistachio nuts
* 1 tsp white wine vinegar
* 2 tsp cornflour
* Â½ tsp vanilla extract
For the poached apricots
* 450g apricots
* green cardamom
* 1 litre water
* 300g sugar, (or 175g if using dried apricots)
* 2 tbsp lemon juice
* 200 ml whipped cream
1. For the pavlovas: preheat the oven to 140C/gas 1. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. With an electric beater, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gradually add the sugar and continue whisking until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
3. Gently fold in all but 2 teaspoons of the chopped nuts, the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla extract.
4. Divide the mixture into 6 big dollops on baking tray. Using a spoon, make slight hollows in the centre of each. Sprinkle with the remaining nuts.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, until crisp on the outside, then turn the oven off and leave to cool for another half an hour in the oven.
6. For the poached apricots: if you are using dried apricots, soak them in boiling water for 10 minutes.
7. Bash the cardamom pods slightly and put them into a saucepan with the water and sugar. Bring to the boil, add the apricots and simmer until tender – this takes about 20 minutes. Cool and add the lemon juice.
8. To serve, put one pavlova on each plate, add a dollop of whipped cream to the centre hollow, then spoon over a few poached apricots with cardamom. If you like, scatter with some more nuts.