Plum And Apple Jam
yield 2.5kg (approx)
750 g plums
3 1/2 cups (750 g) apples (peeled and cored)
450 ml water
1.5 kg sugar
1. Wash the plums and put into a preserving pan with the apples and the water.
2. Cook the fruit slowly until the skins of the plums are softened.
3. Add the sugar, stir over low heat until dissolved, bring to the boil and boil rapidly until setting point is reached.
4. Remove the stones as they rise to the surface (a stone basket clipped to the side of the pan is useful for holding the stones, and allows any liquid to drip back into the pan).
5. Alternatively, the plums may be stoned before cooking.
6. Remove from the heat, skim, pot, cover, and label.
Cooking time 45 minutes (approx)