RED-COOKED HOCK â€” Chinese New Year Food Recipes, Best Dish of Family Banquet
1 hock (about 1 1/6 lbs.), 2 scallions, 2 ginger slices, 4 cloves star anise, 1/3 lb. cabbage mustard
(1) 1/2C soy sauce, cornstarch water as needed
(2) 4T soy sauce, 3T rock sugar, 1T cooking wine, 1/2t Salt,
(3) 1T cooking wine, 1/2t salt
1. Rinse hock well. Blanch in boiling water. Scrape any grease out of skin with a knife. Use boiling water to cook along with scallion, ginger, and star anise for 20 minutes.
2. Remove the hock. Coat 1/2C of soy sauce of seasoning (1) over the outside skin, and prick holes on it with fork. Then deep-fry in smoking oil until brown. Remove and soak in cold water immediately.
3. Heat seasoning (2) until boiled. Put the hock into it and cook for 40 minutes over low heat until soft and the liquid is almost absorbed. Remove the hock. Slice after its cooling down.
4. Rinse cabbage mustard well and cut into small sections. Stir-fry with 2T of oil. Stir well with added seasoning (3) and remove. Line on serving plate with the hock on top. Thicken the liquid with cornstarch water and drizzle over the hock. Serve.