Roast chicken with garlic and sweet onion marmalade
* 1 lemon, sliced into quarters
* 50ml honey, plus extra as needed
* 4 sprig thyme
* 2 Vidalia (sweet) onions, thinly sliced
* 50g unsalted butter
* 50 ml white balsamic vinegar, or white wine vinegar
* 500ml dry white wine
* 500 ml water
For the garlic roast chicken:
* 1 chicken, small
* 2 tbsp soft butter
* 4 clove garlic, peeled and slivered
* 1/2 onion, thickly sliced
* 1 carrot, diced
* salt, and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the honey and lemon in a heavy-based saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the lemon is golden brown.
2. Add the thyme, onions and butter and continue to cook over medium low heat for 5 minutes: the onions should soften but not colour.
3. Add the vinegar, wine and water along with 2 tbsp salt. Bring to the boil over high heat, then cover, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 45 minutes, until the onions are tender but still hold their shape.
4. Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and honey.
5. The chicken can be roasted while the marmalade is simmering. Preheat the oven to 220Â°C/gas 7.
6. Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper. Loosen the skin over breast, thighs and legs as far as possible. Massage the butter over the flesh and under the skin, and distribute the garlic slivers also under the skin.
7. Stuff the cavity with the onion and carrot and truss the chicken. Season the skin with salt and pepper.
8. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes.
9. Reduce the heat to 180Â°C/gas 4 and cook for around 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 75Â°C and the juices in the thigh run clear when pierced with a thin skewer.