* 300g streaky bacon
* 250g coarse cornmeal
* 75g plain flour
* 3 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
* 300g sweetcorn
* 600ml buttermilk
* 2 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Slice the bacon into short, narrow strips and fry in a 30cm skillet or ovenproof frying pan to leach out as much fat as possible. When just beginning to crisp, take out the bacon strips, but leave the fat where it is.
3. Mix together all the dry ingredients. Add the bacon and sweetcorn kernels.
4. Beat the egg into the buttermilk and add that to the other ingredients. Mix until just combined but do not overwork. If it looks a bit dry, add another splash or two of buttermilk.
5. Heat the bacon fat in the frying pan until smoking, then pour in the cornbread mix. Pop into the oven and cook for about 30 minutes, until the surface is crisp and light brown and a knife plunged into the centre comes out clean.