Soulatouille with hoppin’ john
For the soulatouille
* 1 large aubergine
* 1 tbsp sea salt
* vegetable oil, for frying
* 1 large onion, roughly diced
* 1 red pepper, roughly diced
* 1 green pepper, roughly diced
* 1 tbsp cumin seeds
* 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
* 2 tbsp cajun seasoning, (eg Momma’s – see below)
* 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
* small knob fresh ginger, peeled & finely chopped
* 500g okra, trimmed & slice lengthways in half
* 1 large potato, peeled & diced
* 400g can chopped tomatoes
* 1 tbsp tomato purÃ©e
For the hoppin’ john
* 40ml vegetable oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 400g tin of black-eyed beans, drained
* 450g easy-cook American style rice
* 1 tsp salt
* Â½ tsp pepper
* 1 tsp turmeric
* 1 litre water
1. For the soulatouille: spread the aubergine cubes out on some kitchen paper and sprinkle with the sea salt. Leave for a few minutes.
2. Heat some oil in a pan over a medium heat and the onion, peppers, cumin seeds, chilli flakes, Cajun seasoning, garlic and ginger. Cook until the onions are soft. Add the aubergine, okra and potato and stir well so all the vegetables are covered with the seasonings. Cook for about 2 – 3 minutes until the aubergine begins to reduce in size.
3. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree and a little water. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until all the vegetables are tender. Stir frequently so the tomatoes don’t stick to the pan.
4. For the hoppin’ john: heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and black-eyed peas and fry until the onion is soft. Add the rice, salt, pepper and turmeric and stir for 1 minute until the rice is coated.
5. Add the water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Once all the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender, it’s ready. Fork through the rice and serve with the soulatouille.