Sour Curry with Fish (Gaeng Sohm Plah
This fish curry recipe uses pickled pepperoncini for Thai cooks in a pinch. It’s a suprisingly delicious fusion dish, melding East with West.
* 7 small oval flat fish; clean but leave head and bones intact; salt generously with sea salt and let rest 1 hour or overnight
* 1 Tblsp. sour curry paste
* 7 pepperoncini salad peppers, cut in half
* 3 oz of the pickling liquid from the pepperoncini
* Fish sauce to taste (Golden Boy brand is preferred)
1. Mix the curry paste in a small bowl with 1/2 cup water to dilute.
2. Rinse excess salt from fish. Place fish in small cooking pot.
3. Add the diluted curry paste.
4. Add just enough water to cover the fish. The amount of water needed depends upon the size of the fish, but don’t add too much.
5. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium high, cooking at a low boil (not a simmer!).
6. Add the pepperoncini and the pickling liquid.
7. Boil until the fish is opaque, i.e. just cooked.
8. Taste and add fish sauce to taste.
Serve over steamed Thai jasmine rice. Reduce the amount of curry paste if you prefer it less spicy.
Serves 3 to 4.