Spaghetti and meatballs
For the tomato sauce
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
* 1 x 400g can chopped tomato
* 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
* 2 heaped tbsp tomato purÃ©e
* 350ml red wine, (Johnny uses cheap chianti)
* pinch sugar
For the meatballs
* 400g minced beef
* 150g minced pork
* 1 small onion, finely chopped
* 50g fresh breadcrumbs
* 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
* 1 tsp chilli powder
* 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 2 tbsp flour
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 500g spaghetti, to serve
1. For the tomato sauce: heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and gently fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until softened and translucent.
2. Add the chilli and cook for a minute or two then stir in the canned and fresh tomatoes, tomato purÃ©e and red wine and boil for 5 minutes to reduce slightly. Season with a pinch of sugar, salt and black pepper and keep warm over a low heat.
3. For the meatballs: while the sauce is reducing, mix all of the meatball ingredients together apart from the flour, olive oil and spaghetti. Roll the mixture into golf ball-sized balls then dust lightly in the flour.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the meatballs for 2-3 minutes until browned on all sides (you may need to do this in batches).
5. Add the browned meatballs to the tomato sauce and simmer together for 10-15 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
6. While the meatballs are cooking, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain well.