Thai Chicken Soup in Coconut Milk (Tom Kha Gai)
This recipe for Thai coconut soup with chicken is incredibly easy. The key is to use fresh lemon grass in your cooking. Dried galangal works very well in this coconut-based soup. Serve over steamed jasmine rice with a stir fry vegetable on the side for a complete meal.
Tom Kah Soup
* 2-3 pcs fresh or dried galangal slices
* 2 pcs of fresh lemon grass stalks
* 1 clove of garlic
* A pinch of tamarind paste
* 3-4 fresh chilis (depending on how spicy you you like it)
* Fish sauce to taste (Golden Boy Brand is preferable)
* Thin soy sauce, optional
* 1/2 lb. chicken
* 1 (13.5oz) can of coconunt milk
1. Boil galangal, lemon grass, garlic and tamarind in 1 cup of water for 2-3 minutes to bring out the flavor.
2. Cut 1/2 lb. chicken (thighs are nice or breast) into approx. 2 inch pieces (best if you cut through the bone with a sharp cleaver, but also you can use boneless meat. Note: The bones give a richer flavor.)
3. Add chicken to the boiling water and boil for another 8 minutes until cooked through.
4. Add 13.5oz can coconut milk. Bring to the boil again and boil for another 3 minutes.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of Thai fish sauce (nahm plah), 1 tablespoon Thai thin soy sauce, 2 slices of white onion. And if desired garnish with 3-4 pcs of Thai fresh chiles (prik kee noo). Bring to the boil for one minute.
6. Remove from heat and serve over jasmine rice. Add fish sauce to taste. If fish sauce is not available sea salt is also very good.