Yorkshire Herring Pie
4 herrings, filleted
1 lb (450 g) cooking (tart) apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tbsp (14 g) 1/2 oz butter
175 g (6 oz) shortcrust pastry
1 lb (450 g) potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon
salt and pepper
1. This is a dish pie with only a pastry covering.
2. Butter a large ovenproof dish.
3. Arrange the potatoes, herring fillets and apples in alternating layers.
4. Sprinkle the herbs and lemon juice in the pie, season, top with butter and cover with the pastry.
5. Decorate the top of the pie with fish shapes.
6. Glaze and cook at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 45 minutes.